Thursday, August 31, 2006

1st day of 1st grade!

Wow. First grade! I'm hoping the day goes well for R. New teacher, new classroom, new classmates. R will probably be tired when she gets off the bus from information/stimulation overload. I will be sure to have snack ready and waiting when she gets off the bus and I look forward to hearing about her first day!

I anticipated a tough morning but she was actually very calm and collected this morning. These are usually the mornings to expect many meltdowns from my first born but she really surprised me this morning -- in a good way! She had a very brief whiney moment before breakfast about what to eat, so I just told her I'd pick her breakfast and whereas that might normally be cause for her to flip out she actually went with the flow and didn't gripe. I feel like she has turned into a 1st grader overnight...or at least has some new-found maturity. She also had a short precursor to a meltdown when I asked her to get dressed because she couldn't find the dress she wanted and then decided against wearing it. I pulled a skirt/top combo out of the closet that she had forgotten about and all was well with her little world again. Second time we averted a meltdown. I was amazed!

She had some time to play with A this morning for about half an hour before we needed to go outside to wait for the bus. I'm sure that made them both happy - even if A did end up whacking R in the face with one of the not-so-small plastic houses. I can't say that R was completely innocent in that attack but I had to send A to time out three times yesterday for hauling off and whacking R for some reason or another. I don't like the mean streak I'm seeing in A these days. I hope they don't spill over into preschool, but I have a feeling that it's sibling related (at least that's my hope!).

I got all three girls ready to go wait for the bus and we went outside about 10 minutes ahead of schedule so that I could get a few pictures. I shouldn't have been so organized since the bus was 10 minutes late this morning. And it was cold out there. At least R had a sweatshirt on to keep her warm and cozy, but the rest of us got a bit more than chilled.

Here are a few choice photos from the morning:

Looking like such a big kid!


Flowers for the teacher.

They are so pretty - the girl and the flowers!

Sisters.


Mom, E and R waiting for the bus.


Here it comes! ("Who's driving?")


No fear! Not even too ruffled by the new (male) driver!


And just for comparison - here she is on the first day of Kindergarten:


When she got off the bus after her first day of kindergarten she came running up the front lawn to me where I was waiting on the front steps and yelled "I LOVE KINDERGARTEN!" I told her this story recently and she made this funny scrunched up face and said "I won't do that this year!" I asked why and she shrugged and acted embarrassed at the thought of her younger self exhibiting such exuberance. Then she said "I'll wait until I come in the house to tell you that."
So, with any luck, my mature first grader will come off the bus demurely, walk to the house with an air of restraint and upon entering will tell me "Mom, I LOVE FIRST GRADE!"

************************************
UPDATE: R had a great day at school and she likes her new teacher. She has a couple of friends from Kindegarten in her class and also knows one of the second grade kids from her bus. (As it turns out we got to meet Emmie, the second grader, when she and her dad came to drop off her little brother at my neighbor's daycare this afternoon. She seems like a really sweet and likeable kid! They live in our neighborhood and I think it would be great to have Emmie over for a playdate.) R was able to describe to me where her room is, where she sits, who 4 of the 5 kids she sits with are, and also a few things the class did today. The one snafu of the day was when her bus driver forgot to stop at our house to drop her off. At the time Rick and his dad where standing in the driveway waiting for her and I was standing on the other side of the circle with my MIL and A (who had been riding her bike). The guy just blew by our driveway and we had to hail him down...actually I think R was the one who finally caught his attention enough for him to stop finally. He stopped at the corner right where the circle ends and R go off the bus a bit teary-eyed. But, she quickly got over it and we had a good laugh about it later. I hope that incident jogs his memory and it won't happen again!

R likes being one of the 'big kids' in that she gets to go anywhere on the playground (the Kindergarteners are apparently restricted to one area) and she reported that since she has second graders in her class she got to sit in one of the "2nd grade seats" at lunch. Speaking of lunch, that was one of her main concerns - not having enough time to finish- but from the looks of her lunch it wasn't a problem and she said she had enough time. I am glad she didn't feel rushed.

I hope (and imagine) that A will have an equally exciting first day when she starts at preschool next week!

4 comments:

TuxBaby said...

Yay!! I'm glad she had a great first day!!

~TuxB

Kristen said...

Very cute pictures. First grade came quickly, didn't it? Bryce started kindergarten and I feel like I'm still reeling that he's not a newborn anymore. Man, it goes by fast.

Jeanne Tuthill said...

TuxB - Me too! I was a bit concerned at how things would go for her on the first day but she handled it all like a pro!

Kristen - God yeah, it was strange when she became a Kindergartener and went on the big bus, but in some ways I felt better because she was still little and unsure of herself. Familiar territory.

Now, she's a big kid in an acutal number grade and she got on that bus like she'd been doing it forever and it was even stranger! My 'baby' is growing up... How do we slow down this ride?

Karyn said...

Too damn cute. I can't believe she is in first grade... I remember holding her at breakfast when she was just like...what...five? six? months old... like yesterday... wow...