Monday, August 21, 2006

This too shall pass...

...at least that is what I'm trying to tell myself to save my sanity.

Last night went something like this:

4:30 - walked over to in-laws house
5:30 - dinner with in-laws
6:45 - bring girls home for bed
7:00 - after a short story A goes to bed
7:05 - A comes out to complain about thunder noises and Rick goes to sit with her in her room
7:30 - finish R's bedtime story and say goodnight
7:40 - nurse E and put her to bed (she is sound asleep and does not hear me leave...this is the first time in about a week that this has happened so smoothly....it used to be like that ALL the time - ah, the good old days)
7:55 - A comes out again to go to the bathroom, followed shortly thereafter by R for the same reason
8:00 - Rick gives girls a 'talking to' for their nannering when they are supposed to be going to sleep
8:30 - realize that we forgot to give R her antibiotics and have to go in and wake her to give her the medicine (not an easy task - once she's alseep, she's ASLEEP)
8:30 to 10:00 - hang out, read books, check blogs and boards on internet (a nice quiet evening - something we have been sorely lacking due to E's late bedtime and the ensuing battles)
10:15 - go to bed
10:40 - E is awake and screaming loudly (in that pissed off kind of cry)
10:50 - back to bed after succesfully nursing E back to sleep
11:55 - E is awake and pissed off and screaming AGAIN
11:55 to 12:25 - alternate with Rick in trying to get her back to sleep to no avail
12:25 - drag fat sorry ass (and my pillow) out of bed and leave Rick to get some sleep
12:35 - after listening to her scream for 10 more minutes I just decide to give in and sleep on the bed in her room
1:00-ish - finally asleep after listening to her whine on and off about the fact that I'm nearby (which is good) but won't pick her up (which is not as good but at least I'm nearby so all is right enough with the world that she can safely go back to sleep)
7:15 - wake up. E is still sleeping so I try to sneak out and let her continue to sleep. No such luck...baby radar has sensed mommy's movement and E is now wide awake and standing in her crib smiling at me.

Sigh...the start of a new day.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Ugh, the thunder and the constant getting out of bed - drives me nuts. I don't have the infant waking in the middle of the night though - that's a lot to deal with.

Karyn said...

Oh dear.

Your ass isn't fat. You look great. (Hey you fit down the kiddie slide, did you not? Whereas my keister would get stuck midway down and require Captain Fun come pry me out with a fucking crowbar.)

Don't wake R. for her antibiotics next time... just resume in the morning as usual and she'll get one extra dose at the end of her week or ten days. That Never Wake A Sleeping Baby rule does not change just because they aren't babies!

Oy. Sorry it's such a bumpy ride lately sweetie. Hugs to you -

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Kristen - TELL me about it. R is the Queen of Bedtime Avoidance Behavior! Ugh - drives me absolutely NUTTY. Last night was actually a "tame" night as far as that goes, but it added to the complete story of why things got so frustrating!!! Thanks for commisurating!

Karyn - the ass is certainly *feeling* large these days because I have not been able to get out for my walks (because of the freakin' sleep issues...ugh), but I thank you for the kind words.

And I was not really worried about the missed dose but we are nearing the end of the full 3-week course and I want it OVER so I didn't want yet another pill hanging around. Plus, I figured she'd be back to sleep quickly and she was (thankfully). It just also goes to show how out of it I am these days that I miss these things...where is that damn sleep fairy? Maybe she's got a house full of kids, too, who are driving her crazy and thus she's getting as forgetful as I am! It's a thought anyway... If she remembers to drop J a toy for good behavior will you remind her that I've been *very* good lately? Thanks, sweets!