Sunday, August 27, 2006

August Date Night

Now that the in-laws live around the corner we are going to try for a date night at least once a month. Even though they used to live just across town the logistics seemed a bit more daunting so the whole date thing didn't happen all that often. But, now with them so very close it is a cinch. We walk the girls over to the in-laws in the late afternoon and they stay there for dinner. While we are out on our date my in-laws feed them and then walk them back over here and get them to bed. They are even in bed not long after their usual bedtime. I was nervous about how things would go now that my in-laws are outnumbered - three kids to two adults - but the older girls promised to behave (and they did!) and even E was a model baby for the grands and went to bed without any trouble! Phew. It makes it that much more promising that date night might actually happen again in another month.

Last night's date night was my choice because it's the weekend before my birthday. :-) So, Rick and I talked about some options and I decided a hike would be a great thing to do before dinner since we haven't gotten out for any "real" hikes in a couple of years. These days we have to keep the hikes short and level (therefore no great views from mountaintops) with the girls otherwise we end up listening to whining and complaining more than half the time and it really defeats the whole purpose of getting out to enjoy nature. So, we picked one of the somewhat strenuous, yet relatively short, nearby hikes up to the top of Bare Mountatin - so named, I assume, because there are big , flat rocks and not a whole lot of vegetation at the top not because it is frequented by nudists or streakers (in any case, none that I've ever encountered). We used to hike Bare Mountain at least a few times a year because it is very close to home and it gives great view over the whole town - from the farm stand that has expanded into a much larger family-owned grocery not far from the base of the mountain to the University with it's very tall and quickly recognizable library tower and the clot of urban-inspired, high-rise dormitories in the middle of town to the Peace Pagoda located in a northern neighboring town and beyond -- I think it is even possible to see some of the Vermont hills on a clear day. I especially like the views on a crisp, clear, fall day when the leaves are at their peak color.

I have hiked this mountain in varying degrees of fitness starting in my early twenties. I started hiking in college as a completely out-of-shape couch potato who had to stop every minute and a half to appease my aching, liquified leg muscles (or lack thereof) and catch my breath. I used to think of Bare Mountain as this long, arduous hike but with a really nice view that made the ascent more than worth it. And now I am a somewhat trimmer mom in my mid-thirties, I have lots more hiking experience under my belt, a fair bit more muscle mass, I don't suffer from nearly the same amount of lactic acid burn in my thighs, and I don't need to stop to catch my breath quite so often. In fact, although Rick and I feel out of shape these days I'd have to say that we made it to the top in a decent amount of time and with fewer stops than I had imagined I would need to regain control of my lungs and heart. It was a great hike that we both enjoyed and as always we felt the hike was worth every second for the wonderful view it affords. We stayed up on top talking - with no interruptions - for at least half an hour. We talked about lots of things - the kids (of course!), house projects, the view, and even of our college days and some of the crazy memories of our "hippie dorm" where neither of us fit the stereotype but where the food was always pretty decent (we lived in the dorm that was the last vestige of the days when all dorms had their own kitchens and the students living there all ate together in their dorm dining room) and where we first met each other through a mutual friend.

The hike back down was steep and swift - it always takes so little time to get down in comparison to the uphill battle and it is generally easier on the lungs, but harder on the knees! We made a brief detour home and got showered and changed for our dinner date. I had decided it would be fun to visit a local brew pub where we could try out a homebrew sampler and have good, simple food for dinner. We both ended up liking the same beer - one they call their Anniversary Ale. Apparently, they make every year at this time to celebrate the month they first opened their doors - it is kind of disappointing that it's only a yearly brewing event because it is a great beer!

After dinner we strolled through town and checked out the "big excitement" in town this week which was the site of a burned out building that, until earlier this week, had housed a branch of the Bank of America. And then we went for ice cream. Yes, we lead fascinating lives around here. We ended our date with a trip to look for a few odds and ends at Target and Wal-mart. See? I told you - non-stop thrills abound!

But, seriously - it was so nice to just be together and talk and laugh and remember what it was like to just hang out with no one to focus on but each other. It was glorious. A rare treat. One that I hope we can continue to make a monthly priority. After all, we were informed my by mother-in-law that we WILL be doing this once a month. And we wouldn't want to disappoint her, now would we?

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Maybe it's Bare Mountain because you're meant to hike up there in the sweaty throes of date night and get bare.

Ahem. Maybe I have a hormone problem.

As long as it's not "Bear Mountain" I think it sounds fab.

TuxBaby said...

Glad you guys had a chance to have a great date!! I know my dates are not thrill-a-minute dates anymore either- but to just get out without the kids and with an adult you LIKE.. that's never a bad thing. ;-) Plus, you can always make your own personal thrills later.

Maybe I'm hormonal, too... I kinda like Karyn's Bare Mountain idea as well. ;)

~TuxB