Thursday, February 22, 2007

Grease Lightning!

I just got caught up on the last two episodes of the NBC show Grease: You're the One that I Want. Things had been busy around here so I had actually kind of forgotten about the show for a while and realized that two Sundays had gone by and I hadn't watched. So, I acquired (ahem.) a copy from a "friend" and finished watching this week's episode this morning.

I had posted some first impressions a while back and I'm happy to report that some of my favorites are still in the running! I'm still very much enamored of Derek - especially after last week's performance where he did the song Footloose with a bunch of backup dancers. He'd get my vote after that one - if I were actually doing this real-time and able to call in my vote! But, this week. Eh. Not so much. It was duet week and I was not thrilled with who they paired him with (I think it was Kate? See....so unimpressed that I can't even remember a short 30 minutes after watching it). I also think the song was not right for him and his voice did warble and crack in the first few notes...never a good thing. So, I'm hoping he'll make a big comeback for me next week.

As for the women, Laura was a favorite of mine from the get-go and she's doing great! She did a FABULOUS job singing "Jesus Christ, Superstar" last week and this week she was paired with Austin. I don't much care for Austin, in general, but they made for a decent pairing and they set the scene for the song nicely.

This past week, however, I had to agree with a couple of the judges and say that Chad and Allie together with their rendition of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" were SMOKIN'! I have not been much impressed with Allie in the past and was not surprised when she received a low vote count in the first elimination (she was spared by the judges in the sing-off) but this week she pulled it off and gave a great performance. Likewise with Chad. He was never much on my radar but I loved his performance in the duet.

I also really loved Max and Ashley in their duet "It Takes Two" - they seemed so at ease and let a lot of humor come through in that performance. Ashley was another one I've liked since the beginning, so I'm happy to see that Laura and Ashley are still hanging in there.

But, that said, it is really a tough call. They are all doing such great work and wowing the audiences every week. I am sure that I would be happy to see ANY of them playing the parts of Sandy and Danny on stage. Unfortunately, I do have to wonder if I could ever possibly get tickets! I'm assuming that this show will create a ticket frenzy and the prices will be too rich for my blood. Sigh... I plan to get down to NYC some time this year, but perhaps a little too early to see Grease...and it is highly doubtful that discount tickets will be available at the TKTS booth anyway. Ah well, it's still fun to watch and I'll be tuning in and watching until the final Sandy and Danny are on their way to NYC!

No comments: