Thursday, February 22, 2007

Best Laid Plans

The plan for today was to go over to the indoor pool at the Middle School and swim for an hour or so this afternoon. It's school vacation week so every day from 2-4 this week they are having "open swim" time in case people are looking for something to do with their kids to burn off some energy and pass away some time.

My MIL was going to come over at about 1:30 and watch E so I could bring the older two to the pool.

However, just about a half an hour ago R was playing the living room and I heard a thud followed by a blood-curdling scream. This in itself is nothing to be concerned about because it is a scenario that is repeated often in this house whenever the Drama Queen Extraordinnaire is present. So I checked in with her and she complained vehemently - as she is wont to do on such an occasion. She was holding her head and explained that she backed up to sit on the couch but it was not where she thought it was. She landed on her behind and in the process smacked her head on the dresser. I sighed and thought to myself "Yep....like mother, like daughter. Both so graceful." I asked her if she was going to live because she was carrying on, I thought, way too much given the situation. She gave me an annoyed look and said "yes" and then pulled her hand away from her head to reveal a finger covered in blood to the first digit.

Surprise, surprise! I did not expect that she had actually managed a head wound in the fall and merely thought that she was being her usually over-dramatic self! I trotted her off to the bathroom where I attempted to clean the wound and assess the damage. It is a small wound, but a head wound nonetheless so there was no shortage of blood. She actually maintained better compsure than I would have expected given her track record and she let me clean the area well enough to see what we were dealing with. I determined that it was not worthy of stitches and once I cleaned off the blood that had already accumulated I found that the flow had pretty much stopped already. Phew. No rushed trip to the ER for us today (as I spit thrice and throw some salt to ward off the evil eye).

I sent her to relax on the couch and gave her some magazines to take her mind off the pain and then came to the computer to research other afternoon possibilities. I decided the pool idea was no longer a good one given the head wound! She recently reported that her head no longer hurts (yay!) and I managed to find a local theater that is showing 70 minutes of Looney Tunes Cartoons this afternoon.

The afternoon is once again looking promising!

2 comments:

TuxBaby said...

Yikes!! I'm glad she is okay though (and without a trip to the ER for stitches!)

It's crazy to think that I have 2 boys, but still NO broken bones or stitches so far!

(okay, that said- the next blog post will probably be about that very thing because I just jinxed those poor kids of mine)

~TuxBaby

Anonymous said...

Well, I always consider it a good day when no major head trauma is involved.
Thank goodness she is ok!!
Love
S&O