Friday, January 19, 2007

What's that white stuff?

Woke up this morning and there was a thin layer of white stuff coating the grass and driveway. Since when are we getting snow this winter? I thought (happily, in some ways...) that we were looking at a snow-free winter this year. The girls, however, were thrilled that there was some evidence of winter out there this morning. Not possible to please everyone, I guess.

It was 5:50 when I dragged my butt out of bed and I wondered if Lauri was up for our morning walk or not. And I wondered what the roads were like. From the warm comfort of my living room they seemed clear of snow but I wondered about the possibility of icing. I glanced at Lauri's house and saw that she had not yet turned on her light. I went to the back window to turn on the back flood light to get a better look at how slippery things might be. By accident I turned on the front garage lights. Twice. The switches are next to each other and I was not yet awake. The conditions seemed pleasant enough - temp was around 30, snow was minimal, and falling from the sky were tiny, fluffy flakes of snow. I went to the front windows again and this time I noticed that Lauri's front light was on (perhaps she took my fumbled attempts with the light switch as a sign?). Ok, looked like she was game so I quickly found my exercise togs and threw them on and got outside not too long after 6:00. The walk was actually very nice. The traction was fine except in a few spots where it seemed like they had not bothered to throw some salt/sand in the wee hours of the morning. But, the accumulation was minimal so it was easy going. About halfway through our walk the snow picked up pace a bit and we did get a bit damp, but it was still enjoyable and I was glad I got up and walked this morning.

The snow continued for another hour or so and we have a coating of snow that doesn't quite cover the grass completely. R looked out the window at the falling snow and said "Ya know what, mom? It would be beautiful out there if those houses were not there." She really is a daddy's girl - she loves nature and has, it seems, an innate resentment for anything that impinges on the natural world. The snow really does look lovely on the trees out back (without all those pesky roads and houses marring the view).

It is somehow Friday once again (how did that happen?) and so it is time for a trip to the museum for story time. However, A was being extremely difficult this morning and I told her "no story time trip" because she was being such a noodge. Her attitude has improved quite a bit and now I need to decide whether to recant on my earlier statement or not. It would be nice to get out of the house this morning and goodness knows she would be thrilled. I have about 15 minutes before we need to be out the door if we are going.

Tomorrow is Saturday and we have no plans but on Sunday we will be heading to my sister's for a memorial mass for my brother-in-law, Tom. He passed away 5 years ago after undergoing "routine" heart valve surgery and having something go horribly wrong. He is greatly missed. My sister and her kids (ages 11, 13, and 15) will be participating in a walk for the American Heart Association this April 29th in memory of Tom. Here's a link to their team's web page if you want to support their efforts! I'm trying to figure out if it will be possible to join their team on the day of the walk.

Ok, I guess we are going to story time so I'd better get these girls ready to get out the door. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Oh my GOD. You're one of those people who walks IN THE SNOW, now! Gaaa! ;)

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Karyn - it really makes a difference when you know someone is waiting there to walk with you. It's a great motivator to have that walking buddy...and I enjoy her company so the time goes by so quickly whether we are getting snowed on or not!