Wednesday, January 31, 2007

At long last...

My body has finally gotten the hint. I guess it's a bit slow on the uptake. My brain has been trying to tell it for the last few weeks that it's on a diet and exercise program to lose weight but it was staunchly refusing to get the hint until recently.

I think that's what makes dieting so hard for me. My body's ability to lose weight is about two weeks behind my brain. The will-power and determination kicks in right away but the progress is so slow going at first that I get easily frustrated. Around two weeks into it is when i start to say "hey, this isn't working...why bother?" as I did in a recent post. But, then I have to tell myself to stay the course and see if another week or so will make a difference. And it did. Over the course of the last few days I've steadily seen the scale drop in tiny increments and today I was a full two pounds lighter than I have been for the last few weeks. When the first drop in the scale appeared a few days ago I was hesitant to believe it would 'stick' - it was a small enough amount that it could have been chalked up to a normal weight fluctuation. I figured I was going to see it inch back up the next morning. However, much to my delight there was another small drop the next morning and yet another this morning when I stepped on the scale. It was a relief to finally see a change in the right direction and it gave me the motivation to just keep doing what I'm doing.

I walked in the freezing cold yesterday with Lauri. I think it was below 10 degrees - brrrrr.... I know Lauri is generally willing to brave the cold weather (especially when she has company to help pass the time) so I threw on the front light and went to get dressed. When I came back I saw that she had turned her light on and knew that we both crazy enough to face the cold for a bit of exercise. And man, did my legs get cold. They were as red as lobsters when I got home, but it was good to get the exercise over and done with for the day. The ways things went for the remainder of the day it was not possible for me to fit it in at any other time. I had hoped to maybe do a quick upper body workout in the afternoon but it never did happen so that's on tap for today at some point...I hope. It depends on how nap time/bedtime works out today...

Today I get a little reprieve from the "Mom Job". My MIL is due over at any minute to hold down the fort while E naps so I can run out for a quick lunch with one of my friends. It has to be quick because I need to be back to preschool to pick up A at 12:45. So, it will be brief, but I will enjoy every second of it. And I will do my best to pick something sensible from the menu so I don't end up losing ground on my recent success!

OK, my MIL just walked in the door. So, I'm off!

Be well!

2 comments:

TuxBaby said...

Congrats on the weight loss! But I still have to say... CHUCK the scale!!!! Go with how your clothes fit on you! Find something that isn't elastic-waisted and use that as your gauge. You can do measurements, too- but I find the clothing-tightness thing a more tangible thing because I can FEEL that changing.

Keep it up, girl!!! You remember my P90 stuff? They always said that you might not lose anything for the 1st 30 days- it's only AFTER that, when your weight loss might kick into high gear. So keep on going! Just give it TIME. The weight wasn't put ON in just 2 weeks- so it won't all go away in 2 weeks, either!

Patience... I don't have it, either. But after so many years of this, I've learned to be a *little* less impatient and a bit more persistent. ;-)

~TuxBaby

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Tuxbaby. Yes, I need to work on my patience - I want the weight off yesterday but it doesn't work that way. And it won't work unless I work at it. Geesh - so much work!

The problem with the clothing as a measure? A lot of my weight is in my abdomen/stomach and it seems to me that it is the last place I lose the weight! Annoys the heck out of me. Oh, and did you forget I'm in THE ELASTIC WAISTLAND? LOL Well , I do have a couple of pairs of non-elastic waist pants that I invested in recently...but because of where the weight comes off first (for me it's my back) I don't see much progress where i really want to see it at the start. So, I continue to moan and groan unless I can see some changes in the numbers. I should take some "starting" measurements (well, close enough to staring at this point). It's a depressing thing to do but I can then track all my changes no matter where they are happening...

Thanks again. I did really well today and I'm going to keep on plugging away! And I'll work on that patience thing...in more than one aspect of my life! ;-)