Friday, January 12, 2007

Baby Steps...

Yep. Tuxbaby is right. Baby steps.

Today I tried to balance the good with the not so good. Lauri and I did get out for a walk this morning (3.2 miles). After I got back I had a good breakfast of steel cut oatmeal with apples and walnuts and a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. By lunchtime I was famished and we were going out for lunch. Bad combination.

As usual for a Friday morning, we went to the museum for story time and met up with friends. Some weeks we go out for lunch together after the museum visit and today was one of those days. We decided on one of the local Chinese restaurants that serves sushi because my friend's daughter was jonesin' for some raw tuna. Um yeah. My friend will actually say stuff like "if you are too crabby we'll just have to go home and you won't get any raw tuna"...ha! like that would be incentive for my kids to act nicely! They would start acting like Attila the Hun just to NOT eat raw fish. Lucky for them I'm no fan of raw fish. In fact, I once asked this friend to help me order some sushi so I could give it a try - what can I say, it was a daring moment for me. Let's just say sushi was not my cup of tea. Blech. But I digress...

If you haven't guessed I ending up eating waaaay too much for lunch. But, it was soooo good (no sushi on my plate!). I did get the brown rice which should count for something, right? I should have just had my meal - which was plenty of food by far - but I ended up eating a couple of the pork fried dumplings that A ordered on top of my luncheon special. Whoops.

So, I tried to balance things out a bit. How, you ask? Well, I tried to keep the portions/calories down at dinner. We made some homemade calzones with shrimp and veggies and I only had a small portion of one of them with a glass of wine. Hopefully, that helped even things out.

But that was not all. After the girls were in bed I was sitting at the computer feeling like a lazy ass. I had not yet done the upper body workout that I mentioned in yesterday's post so I decided to stop procrastinating. I went downstairs and turned on my current movie (yep. you guessed it. Broadway Whore again today with the next installment of "The Chorus Line") and did some upper body exercises from my Jorge Cruise book. I'm not following the book in sequence this time around. I'm just picking and choosing the exercises I like and trying to group them into separate upper body and lower body workouts. So far, so good. My legs were pretty sore after my leg workout earlier in the week. Jury is still out on tonight's upper body workout...I'll give an update on how my arms, chest and back are feeling tomorrow.

The movie hooked me in for longer than the exercises took so I watched for a while longer and did some stretching while I was at it. I am soooo not flexible. It's something I really need to work on because I'm so bad at it. Baby steps, right? Right.

Not sure what is on for tomorrow. There is a "birds of prey" program at the library that we think the girls would enjoy (well, R especially...). There will be a guy there with some live owls - right up my nature girl's alley. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going but I think Rick and/or Grandad will be taking the older girls (or just R if A is not interested). The weather forecast doesn't look so great for tomorrow - rainy, cold, perhaps some freezing rain early in the morning, perhaps some sleet or snow late in the afternoon - so it sounds like a good day to stay in and stay warm. I plan to carve out some time to get on my treadmill. (You read it here so now I will feel like I have to do it - See? You are a good influence without even really trying! You rock!).

It is now officially past my bedtime. Have a great night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owls are awesome!

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Hi Chris! Welcome to E.W.!

Yes - owls are very cool. They are Rick's favorite bird. He is planning to go with the girls this morning - it will be a nice dad/daughters outing.

Thanks for commenting!