Friday, March 28, 2008

Re-entry, Phase 2 - The 'interview'!

You might be scratching your head thinking "Interview? Didn't you already get the job?"

Yes. Yes, I did.

And I guess it could have been called an 'employment meeting' or 'salary negotiations' or even just simply a 'formality'. But, there was a definite feeling of 'interview' in the one (yep. one.) question she asked: something along the lines of "What experiences have you had that make you qualified for the position and what makes you want to work with the assistive technology center?"

Since she had my resume open in front of her I knew she was aware of my job history and she indicated that she had already "heard many great things" about me from my co-workers. So, I gave her a brief retelling of my history in the world of assistive technology (which largely consists of learning from and working with the assistive technology team I'm working for again). She seemed marginally interested and we moved immediately on to the question of salary. Thus, I'm guessing the whole "interview" facade was to satisfy some administrative need in the hiring process. Either that, or boy howdy! am I good at answering interview questions! (If anyone believes that I've got a bridge to sell ya).

The salary question had not come up at all until that moment. I was a bit apprehensive given my three years away from any kind of work environment. After all, I've been wiping bottoms and noses, singing nursery rhymes, and dancing along with The Wiggles for the past few years. And my continuing education has been marginal at best. Enough to allow me, in good conscience, to sign my name on the dotted line and pay the insane membership and renewal fees so I can continue to say that I'm a certified SLP and professional member of ASHA. The last time I worked for the team I was considered an outside 'consultant' and given an hourly rate for my per diem hours. In the intervening years the state has gotten a little squeamish over the hiring of 'consultants' whose salary is not taxed among other piddly little reasons. It is now standard practice for them to hire anyone working for their company as an honest-to-goodness employee. Last week I had filled out my name and address ad nauseum on a multitude of forms (someone seriously needs to make that process a little easier) and got the ball rolling. In one box on the application form I filled out it asked me for my "expected salary". I left it blank. I have no idea what an SLP currently makes out in the real world of education. I know that there is a salary difference in education as compared to those who work in rehab centers and hospitals but I didn't even know where the floor or the ceiling lay for the average SLP, let alone one who hasn't worked for the last three years. And the job I am doing now isn't even a normal 'School-based SLP' position but one in which I will be working towards a specialty in AAC (augmentative and alternative communcation). I only had my previous per diem rate to go by. I basically felt that given the amount of 'training' I'd need to get up to speed that I would be satisfied to make the same hourly rate as I was given last time. I was prepared to insist upon that amount because I recalled the conversation last time where it seemed like I had to push a bit to get that rate. So, I sat across from the SPED administrator worried that my "interview" was not good enough and that I was going to have to work harder on 'selling' myself to get the rate I was hoping for (and if you think I am good at selling myself you are the same person who needs me to sell them that bridge).

As luck would have it, the SPED administrator knows a warm body capable person when she sees one. She explained that they looked for my old paperwork but since the office moved last fall they were having trouble locating any file on my employment (so apparently my resume wasn't the only thing lost in the great 'office relocation project'). She went on to explain that she preferred to give me a rate that commiserated with my experience. I noticed that she had attempted to tally up the various jobs on my resume into a number that equaled "years of work experience" (not a quick or straightforward task given my work history which consists of quite a few part-time employment scenarios). In the end she had determined that I had the equivalent of 4 years work experience as an SLP (sounded about right to me) and that I fit into the "Level 5" category for company employees. I held my breath as she calculated down from a yearly rate (based on a 185-day school year) to a daily rate to an hourly rate. I'm not sure if the complete and utter shock registered in my face when she announced the hourly rate but a second later I made sure my jaw was off the floor, dragged my eyebrows back to neutral, and tried to refrain from doing a happy dance as I indicated that an $8/hour raise from my previous rate of pay would be 'fine'.

Fine?

More like YEEHAW!

We finished our meeting and she apologized to me again for the delay in getting me started. She blamed the lack of communication on the fact that they are in the midst of 'blah, blah, blah' ...which is all I registered as I thanked her for her time and told her how excited I was to be working with the team again. My mind was still on that part in the conversation moments before when I realized that I managed to get a significant raise after three years of domestic goddess duty. I was also mentally preparing myself to live up to whatever "great things" my co-workers were saying about me behind my back!

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the fact that the SPED administrator asked me what they can do to help me get back up to speed on the world of AAC. I told her that I have been working on some self-directed study and attending a few workshops at the center recently. I also told her that a large part of the relearning process will be just getting a chance to "play around" with the systems. I was advised later by a co-worker that the reason I was asked that question was because it is likely that any professional development I feel I need will be approved and paid for by the company. I will certainly be keeping eyes and ears open for such opportunities and won't be shy about asking if I find anything!

The same co-worker also told me that I have the opportunity to gain expertise in other related areas. They have an SLP on staff who does most of the evaluations that deal with higher-level students who need the help of computer-based programs to formulate written language. I don't have any experience with this population but it is great knowing that the opportunity to grow in that direction exists as well. The company would like to essentially 'grow' a team of professionals who can cover a wider range of services in the realm of assistive technology.

I am excited about the possibilities while at the same time a bit apprehensive about the process. For now my time is somewhat limited and I am not ready to jump back into full-time employment. That is certainly something to consider as the girls get older but for now I want to try and remain firmly a part-time employee. With so many opportunities for growth I am going to have to think hard about where I am going professionally and how I plan to get there without sacrificing too much of my time while the girls are still so young.

2 comments:

TuxBaby said...

Okay, so this has NOTHING to do with the blog post about the interview... but I just had to say "Love the New Blog Pic!!!!!!!!" to you!

So that looks like A. So A(as if you didn't already know)- looks JUST like you!

~TuxB

Kirsten Nelson said...

I've been meaning to get by and catch up on the job drama. Cool Beans. May I should buy that bridge, cuz I have a feeling you're much better at selling yourself than you realize!! I also have to ask, what SAHM doesn't deserve that kind of a raise?!! Congrats on all the job stuff, and I hope the daycare issues are sorting themselves out (with sublte interventions on your part of course!)

Kit