Monday, March 03, 2008

Coming Up Empty

This is getting to the point of ridiculous!

It is now 10 days since I left the first message for K. regarding the job she called to offer me. I have since sent her an email (5 days ago) and left her another voice mail earlier today. I took things a step further and called the main office and spoke with the receptionist. I wanted to know if she was out for some unavoidable reason and therefore unable to respond to my message (i.e., illness, conference, etc...). I found out that she is often "working in the field" which does make it hard to contact her but that she was actually in the office today and in a meeting that was going to last until about 3PM. OK. I figured that I might actually hear back from her this afternoon and said as much to the receptionist who merely said, "maybe." How reassuring.

Can anyone guess whether or not I heard back from her today? I think you only need one guess...

In other news, I did get an honest-to-goodness response from D. today. However, it was not exactly reassuring. She basically said that she doesn't know what K. is doing these days because she is no longer works with the AAC group. She is working for another division of the company that deals with DYS and Title 1 issues. OK. That is interesting. I'm now trying to figure out why K. called to offer me this position when she no longer even works with this particular group. The plot thickens.

D. did give me the contact information for the coordinator for "Specialties Services" as well as for the individual who coordinates the scheduling for the center. But, I'm sort of hoping to hear back from K. before I call these other people and sound foolish saying "so, I want to work for you because an individual who doesn't work with you anymore offered me a job!"

In the meantime, I was perusing the company's website and found out that they are offering an all-day AAC workshop this week for 5 hours of professional continuing education credit. It is being led by D. and another woman and looks to be a very functional workshop. It will certainly provide me with more useful information about AAC that I can use me no matter where I end up working. I called this afternoon and verified that there were still openings in the workshop and decided to just sign up, pay up, and show up. Maybe I can get more answers in person this Thursday.

Wish me luck. I'm usually a "glass is half-full" kind of person, but in this situation I'm finding the glass is coming up empty.

3 comments:

TuxBaby said...

Hmmmm- that IS pretty odd!!! I wonder how all of it will pan out, and what you find is the exact situation?? Keep us updated! The plot thickens, eh??

Good luck that it all works out!

~TuxB

Lisa said...

That is really bizzarre that K has not returned your calls. I do hope this is on the up and up and that the job will still be an offer for you once you hear from her.
Lisa

snowelf said...

Jeanne, wow...what a mess! (I should have read this post first.) I'd be so frustrated right now at the entire situation. Especially with all the child care issues up in the air too. Ack!
Sending you virtual chocolates!!

--snow