Saturday, July 26, 2008

Christmas In July

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

I woke up before six this morning and could not go back to sleep. I was too excited. We are off to Maine today!

Rick and I got the packing done last night - all we need to do it find a way to fit everything into the car, get breakfast for everyone, make sure the rats are set for a couple of days and do the last minute stuff that is required when leaving a house empty for a week.

Our fabulous neighbor Lauri is going to keep watch over things for us - she's going to check in on the rats a couple of times, water the garden if it needs it, and put out the trash for us on Monday. In fact, she is so fabulous she is even going to make a run to Michael's during the week to get us some more Sculpey clay which is finally on sale again -we have been waiting for about a month for it to go on sale so I could buy them more and of course the stupid stuff is on sale this week, Sunday to Saturday! Yes, she's a keeper.

Before we leave we are going to give Youngest girl a dose of Dramamine and hope that she doesn't end up with a bout of carsickness. She has had about 3 or 4 incidences of vomiting during car rides seemingly at random. These bouts occur anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour into a car ride and we can only assume that it is carsickness because she never seems very sick after emptying her stomach of its contents. Most local drives have been incident-free, thankfully - it's the long hauls that seem to be the most vomit-inducing. Today I would like to avoid a puke scented car on our 4-5 hour journey so I'm giving the Dramamine a try. Here's hoping it works. It can also cause drowsiness which might not be such a bad thing for our long trip...

I've packed some reading materials for the trip. I'm midway through Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner, which I am enjoying. I also packed a novel by Tracy Chevalier called The Lady and the Unicorn which I had actually started a while ago and was enjoying but hadn't found the time to finish for some reason or other. And lastly, being completely overambitious in regard to my reading list for the week, I included a copy of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Rick and his mom have given it rave reviews (I just asked Rick for the author's name and he said "don't start that book on vacation - you'll get sucked into it!") and so I threw it in the bag to start if I finish the other two books. I'll hopefully be having too much fun sailing, swimming, walking along the beach, and playing shuffleboard to actually read much but I'm bringing them as insurance against rain. If I don't bring any books it is sure to rain...right? That's my theory anyway. In fact, we are also bringing along some board games like Monopoly and Sorry to ward off the raindrops. Maybe I should pack a 1000-piece puzzle while I'm at for a little extra insurance. Actually, that might be like hand-delivering the rain an invitation to our little vacation party. Scratch that idea. Besides, I'm not sure we are going to have room in the car for more crap essentials.

OK - off to get ready for our Big Maine Adventure! I'll probably be able to check in on occasion since we'll have our laptop along and there is internet access at the resort. So, feel free to comment or email me but don't expect a speedy reply!

Have a good week! I planning on having a great one!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Have a great time! Wish I was going too!!!

Ummm on the car sickie thingy... sounds a lot like her mommy that one does! When you were little, any time we drove to the cape we had to pull over and shove your little head out the pontiac door so you could leave a deposit on the side of the road!!!
Thankfully you outgrew that habit!
:)