Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Too Tired to Think of a Clever Title

This week has been a bit off-kilter.

Monday I was supposed to go on some AAC consults with the P from work. I had lined up my childcare for the day (thank you, Grandma and Grandad!) and arranged for Rick to do the morning preschool drop-off so I could get on the road early. I had my travel mug of tea, my lunch and my work bag packed and I was able to get out the door by 7:55am. Since I had a few minutes to spare I stopped to get gas. As I climbed back into the car my cell phone was ringing - the cell phone that I left in the car overnight after returning from the overnight visit to my home town. It was P calling to let me know that her son was up sick all night long and, as luck would have it, the student we were supposed to see was not in school that day either. She told me that she'd been calling since 6:50am to let me know and had left me multiple messages. Oops. I had only given her my cell phone number and then I stupidly left the phone where I couldn't hear it! We made mental notes to be sure to get each others' home phone numbers and I told her that I hoped her son felt better and that she didn't catch whatever he had. So, that was the Monday work day that wasn't.

Today I went into work for the afternoon for the staff meeting that kind of wasn't. Two of the five staff were not able to make it - one SLP was leaving for the west coast for some kind of job interview (yep - we might be losing her to another job! eek!) and P, whose son was sick earlier in the week, caught whatever he had and was home sick herself! So, it was difficult to do any kind of planning without their input. We have a tentative evaluation scheduled for Monday which will be one of those writing evaluations I mentioned in a previous post (I know nothing about them but hope to gain some level of training so I can help in that area as well) and we have an AAC evaluation scheduled for Thursday and I will be working with that team for sure. Since I couldn't talk to P about going with her to any on-site consults I sent her an email to find out what her schedule looks like next week so I can make the necessary child care arrangements.

I'm really enjoying the work, but the scheduling aspect of this job is frustrating at times.

In other news, I'm either a seasonal allergy sufferer or I have yet another early spring cold. This afternoon, shortly before I left for my meeting, my throat started to feel sore. I seem to always have some kind of respiratory thing whenever spring finally arrives. It may be that I'm just unlucky and get a spring cold every year but since it seems to happen every year at this time it does makes me wonder if I have some kind of seasonal allergy. The sore throat is still going strong this evening. I've taken some zinc lozenges to help nip it in the bud if it is a cold. I've tried antihistamines in the past but it doesn't seem to do diddly-squat for me so that is one reason that I question the allergy theory. I've been getting this "spring cold" thing ever since R was born. They say that your immune system can be affected by pregnancy and I've noticed this spring cold pattern since the year she was born. I'm usually fine most of the winter with no serious illnesses and then as soon as the weather turns for the better I go downhill for at least a couple of weeks. So, right now I am not a happy camper. And since it's now past my bedtime I think I'll say good night and get myself to bed.

No comments: