Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Walk like no one is watching...

So, it seems that our little miss E is capable of walking fairly well. She has just been a bit stubborn about sharing her talent. While I have not actually caught her in the act of walking I think she does practice in secret when she knows she is not being watched. She is quite stable and can take a step or two but when I've tried to entice her to walk with a favorite toy or her paci she usually gives me this look like "yeah, in your dreams" and starts cracking up. She thinks she is so funny. And she is certainly on to my little game and refuses to partake.

Unless, of course, it's on her own terms.

Last night, I think she decided that she'd practiced in secret long enough and she was going to give her debut walk strutting herself across the living room floor for the amusement of her adoring crowd. I tried again to play the "come and get it" game but figured I'd get that same self-satisfied guffaw from Her Highness and that would be the end of that. So, I picked up her brand new baby doll that the girls got her for her birthday and gave her a big, happy smile while holding the doll juuuust out of her reach. I encouraged her to come and get her baby doll. To my amazement she immediately took a step! And then another! Being the mean mom that I am who likes to torture her own young I kept that doll just out of reach and forced her to take yet another step. On a good day she'd give me the satisfaction of only those two tiny steps and that would be the end of it. She would plop down on her diapered behind and refuse to stand up again and heckle me from where she sat. But, not this time. This time she actually seemed to enjoy the game and showing off her newfound bipedalism. She took two more steps and I let her get close enough to grab the prize dolly - so proud of her accomplishment that I felt the need to reward it. But, oh no! She wanted to keep playing 'the game' so she actually pushed the doll back at me and proceeded to take a few more frankenstein-ish steps - all the while laughing and looking so very pleased with herself. We cheered her on as she continued with her plodding, teetering baby steps across the rug - seventeen in all (yes, I counted!). Then she grabbed the baby doll and thumped down onto the rug and gave us the biggest, cheesiest grin as if to say "I did it!"

Way to go, baby girl! Momma is so proud!

(As I bury my head in the sand refusing to acknowledge how much this will enhance her 'stinkeroo'-ishness when it comes to getting into trouble! Watch out world, here comes E!)

No comments: