Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Back on track...or trying anyway

Things have been touch and go with the walking for one reason or another. My toe is not yet 100% and when Lauri and I did make it out one morning recently my toe had other ideas. Our walk got cut short because I was having some pain and strange tingling sensations in that toe - yuck. We managed about 25 minutes that morning instead of our usual hour-long walk, but it was something. Yesterday, Lauri was feeling kind of crappy so we did about 40 minutes and called it a day. Turns out it was a good idea since she is feeling even worse today and wasn't up for walking at all - poor dear! Sending some get-well-quick vibes her way!

The mornings are very dark right now so I did not want to go out walking alone. Instead I grabbed my mp3 player and headed to the basement to log some time on the dreadmill (a term coined by one of my online weight loss buddies). I managed 2 miles in about 35 minutes and then did a couple of weight lifting exercises. My weight is slowly but surely creeping in the wrong direction and I really need to get back to business - ugh.

In related news I've spent time finding pants that fit me well and are not elastic waist lately. I decided that part of the journey out of elastic waistland is mental and I just need to find pants in my size (whether I like the number or not) that fit me well, feel good, and make me look less like the SAHM that I am. It is REALLY hard these days to find pants that are not in the "modern fit" style that is so popular with the young and hip...or rather hipless! I try on those labeled "below the waist" or "low cut" and find that all my lovely flabbiness hangs over the top of the pants. Quite a sight to behold. Ewwwww... I know there are young girls out there who can wear these pants and a few moms who seems to have born with some damn good genetics. I'm just not so blessed in that department. Then there are those who think they can wear that style and just let it all hang out...excuse me while I go gag myself with a spoon...yuck. Do they really think it looks good or are they just unable to find pants that fit them so they settle for what's "in style"? I know how hard it is to find pants that fit me these days....not many places carry pants that fit the old-fashioned way! Sigh. But, I refuse to wear what is "in style" if it means I'm going to walk around with fleshy parts dangling and making other people want to vomit. So, I looked around and I did have some luck at JC Penney (not the most fashionable of places, I know...) where I found some nice dressy Docker's that were labeled "sits at waist" and were not elastic waisted, even if they do have a good deal of comfy stretchiness to the fabric! Baby steps out of the world of elasticity! I have yet to find a decent pair of jeans for myself, but I'll keep you posted. This area is not exactly a shopping mecca so I need to venture a bit further from home to find anything besides Target, JC Penney, and Old Navy. And I rarely buy clothing for myself online. I really need to try it before I buy it when it comes to most clothing items - particuarly shoes, pants and bras.

The journey continues...

5 comments:

Karyn said...

THANK YOU - I thought it was truly only ME who was having a problem with those "below waist", "ultra low waist" etc. jeans which pretty much just cover your short-hairs, leaving (in my case) The Great Wall Of Baby a-jigglin' and flappin in the breeze. YUCK! I won't do it! I will make a UNIFORM of sweatpants which I can pull up to my waist (which granted, is about 3" below my armpits but that is another story) before I wear those mom-hating, flab-jeering jeans! Bastards!

I might be hormonal today. Hard to tell.

Jeanne Tuthill said...

I mean really...so true, isn't it? The first time I unwittingly tried on a pair of pants that were labeled 'low rise' I gave myself such a wedgie trying to pull them on up to my waist. I seriously wondered if there was an accident at the factory and someone cut off half the rise on the pants! Geesh! Definitely not my style!

And let's not even discuss trying to find attractive yet comfortable underwear these days. Do women really like to walk around with fabric sticking in their crack? I'll never understand...

Karyn said...

I could NOT agree more. I was like... Shit. Is this where MOST women keep their waist? Because this only comes up to the top of my pubic bone, and ps, it hurts.

Wtf.

Fashion should not be painful.

TuxBaby said...

Okay, so I have some low-rise jeans... but they are Levi's- and not as LOW as some of the other brands! Yikes on the really low ones! I still wear my old Levi's too- the ones that come all the way up to my waist (wow- what a concept- clothing that COVERS). But my favorite fit are still Lee's. I think they are just made to fit the Momma hips while still looking okay.

But I hear ya, Jeanne. Jeans-shopping is never a fun time because you might try on 6 pairs that don't fit to find only 1 that sort of fits.

And Karyn- your 1st comment post is just hilarious. :-)

~TuxB

Karyn said...

Thanks TuxBaby! Nice to know the horror show of my jeans-shopping is good for something. :)