Saturday, October 18, 2008

Project: Rocker

When I was pregnant with Youngest girl we found a glider rocker very cheap at a tag sale. It was missing the original cushions and someone had thrown on some ugly throw pillows in their place . But, the price was right and I am handy with a sewing machine and a big bag of fiberfill so we bought it and put it in the nursery. I bought some fabric to match the nursery quilt and sewed up some cushions. That rocker served us very well through Youngest girl's babyhood. We spent many cozy hours rocking and nursing in that chair.

rocker_pl

Once we put Youngest girl's toddler bed into the room there was not quite enough room to leave the rocker in there. So, we moved it to our living room and there it sat - for more time than I care to admit - clashing quite nicely with our living room furniture. In fact, we had not intended to just leave it there but it became a comfortable addition to the room. So, then I decided I would find time to recover the cushions and it could stay there. But, somehow I never made it to the fabric store for that purpose or if I did go there I forgot about buying fabric for that project.

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to JoAnn's fabrics on a Halloween-related errand and while I was there I remembered to actually buy some fabric! Yay! And this past week I finally made the time to get the project started. It took until today to finish it, but now it is done and looking quite lovely! (I'm so modest...but seriously...doesn't it look nice? And way more living room-ish? And I'm really liking the fabric which is such a buttery soft sueded something or other.)

rocker_br


So, there you have it. My latest sewing project. I have also been working on knitting a few pairs of baby socks to donate to the church craft fair which is coming up in November. I need to take some photos so I can share them here. They are so cute! (There I go again, being all modest and crap.)




4 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks really nice!

Ummm those baby socks might be a little small for my feet...maybe my big toe....

Lisa

snowelf said...

Okay, I am all caught up again! I loved your 12 of 12!! What a great day for it! And nothing like a happy ending under the ruby red bullseye of Target and the neon food sign. ;)

Your rocking chair looks fabulous!!!

--snow

Sara said...

That glider looks terrific!! They are so comfortable..I just gave mine away today-Owen's room is just too small with the twin and the glider...

TuxBaby said...

I still have my old glider... it's in the bedroom and hardly gets used. I should move it out to the living area, but then I will have to watch it closely as the kids (and cat) might get injured playing on or around it! Okay, so maybe the bedroom is the best place for it for now...

Anyway- yours looks great! No more picnic table cover colors!

~TuxB