Friday, April 04, 2008

Recent Conversations...

Just some funny stuff that fits under the label of "Kids Say the Darndest Things!"

******************

One morning we had a tough time getting out the door to get to church. I was cranky and feeling like drill sergeant barking orders to get them moving. "Shoes! Jacket! Now!" On our way home A was acting like a back seat driver questioning why I was going a certain way and here's the rest of the conversation:

Me: (still feeling a bit annoyed) "Don't worry. I've lived in Amherst for almost 20 years - I know where I'm going!"

R: "You've lived here almost 20 years? And you are what...37 now?"

Me: "Yup."

R: "I bet sometimes you wish you were 27!"

Me: (thinking, 'Hell yeah!' but not saying that out loud) "Well, not really...when I was 27 I didn't have any of you girls yet so I'd miss you if I were 27 again."

A: "Oh yeah? Well I bet when you get mad at us like you did this morning you wish you were 27 again!"

Touché

***************************

I was headed off to work one day and dad was staying home with the girls. Sometimes A needs a little bit of encouragement to do outdoorsy things (even though once you get her outside she usually has a ball) so I mentioned that she should take dad out on a nature walk to look for signs of spring. She balked at that idea and I said "But you need to make sure dad gets out and gets some exercise today!" E (acting as peanut gallery) pipes up and says to Rick, "You borrow mom's tweadmill?!"

***************************

R had a writing assignment in school recently that involved writing out the steps in a given activity. Each child chose his/her own activity to explain in a multi-step format. They were given papers with lines on which to write their step-by-step directions and boxes in which to make associated illustrations. The newsletter that came home from the teacher at the end of the week listed a few of the activities that the children had picked to write about. The titles were things like, "How to Buy a Metro Card in NYC" and "How to Make a Rice Roll-up." I asked R what she had chosen to write about. She proudly announced, "I wrote directions for making an origami box," then added, with a gleam in her eye, "and directions for sneaking out of bed when your parents are still up!"

Of course, I just have to share the rough draft that came home the next day. You know, just in case there are any kids out there who might benefit from my daughter's expertise in this area.

I'm loving the last picture on this page. - the eyeball peeking out of the slightly opened doorway.


And the first picture on this page, I am told, is of a parental units legs walking by the room - in which case you are supposed to stay put! The second picture is of the child's legs as they are leaving the room.


I noticed that there is no contingency plan - like a list of valid excuses just in case one is caught in the act. Surprising really, since she's been quite creative with her various excuses for being out of bed.

**************************************

Just a few tidbits from the Elastic Waistland. These kids are a constant source of amusement. I just wish I took the time to write down more of this priceless stuff!

1 comment:

snowelf said...

Snickers and Woobie have now been banned from reading your blog. ;)

I LOVE the legs! That was the BEST part. And the tweadmill! Ahahahaa!!

--snow